Follow along this article to learn how to update your WordPress Address URL and Site Address URL in your WordPress dashboard or wp-config.php. Updating the WordPress Address and Site Address URL field will affect the actual URL your site's visitors will use to access your website. More often than not, the reason why people want to update the WordPress Address and Site Address URL is to add or remove the www. in their site’s URL address.
You will need to be able to either 1) access your WordPress dashboard or 2) access your wp-config.php via File Transfer Protocol (FTP) or File Manager in cPanel.
Random Fact: In late 2016 Google announced their efforts in Moving towards a more secure web - https://security.googleblog.com/2016/09/moving-towards-more-secure-web.html. Many have speculated that this change will put heavier emphasis in organic rankings to sites that are secure (https://) with an SSL Certificate.
How to Add www. to Your Site's URL (Video)
Using the WordPress Dashboard
- Log into your site's WordPress dashboard - yourdomain.com/wp-admin or yourdomain.com/wp-login.php
- Navigate to Settings > General in the left navigation
- Update the WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL)
- Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page
NOTE: DO NOT update the http:// to https:// unless you have an SSL Certificate. This will break your site (won't load properly) if you do not have an SSL Certificate installed for your domain name. If you would like to know more information on how to secure your site with an SSL Certificate please contact support.
Updating Your Site's wp-config.php
- Log into your cPanel Account
- Find the FILES heading and click File Manager icon
- Click through to your public_html
- Locate the wp-config.php file in the public_html
- Right click > Code Edit > Edit
- Add the following lines of code to the wp-config.php file and Save Changes
Of course, remember to replace yourdomain in the above lines of code with your domain name.
Once you have updated your WordPress Address URL and Site Address URL you will be prompted to log into your WordPress site again since the URL has been changed. If you have any questions or need assistance making this change please submit a ticket and a WordPress support specialist will assist you.
Looking for reliable WordPress Hosting with Award Winning Customer Support?
Grab your hosting today with a 20% discount. All plans come with our 60 Money Back Guarantee!
Check out our plans & promotions on our website -- https://www.peopleshost.com/